2nd Annual Focus on the Roast Winners!
Fun, exciting, spirited contest this year. 115 entrants, with 7 proceeding to the second round roast-off.
Results have been tabulated:
- 1st place, Austin Tsai, Granada Hills, CA. Austin won a 500g North sample roaster
- 2nd place, Cody Larson, Northfield, MN. Cody walks with a Tonino Roast Color Meter
- 3rd place, Austin Amento. Redlands, CA. Baratza will be sending out a Baratza Preciso grinder to Austin
- 4th place, Paul Trumm, Alexandria, MN. Prima Coffee Equipment generously donated a Paladin ♞ Mobile Cupping Kit which Paul will be receiving.
- 5th place, Lyle Erickson, Des Moines, IA. Lyle wins the Byrd & Belle shop apron.
- Honorable mention, Harrison Boyd, Temecula, CA
- Honorable mention, Alan Folks, Arden, NC
My thoughts as a judge:
- Excellent submissions
- Tight competition. We had to go to a head-to-head throwdown between Austin’s and Cody’s to break a tie.
- Light roasts were the “roast of the day.”
- An 86.5 coffee is a superb coffee to use for competition. As Joe explained, a good roaster can put 2 points on it and a poor roast can lose about 2 points.
Thanks all for a great contest this year!