BLK & Bold Is Hiring In Des Moines
We occasionally hear about our friends roasting across the country that are in need of professional people to join their organizations. If you have a position in your roastery and would like to let us know please contact us.
Position: Roaster (Manufacturer), Full Time
Company: BLK & Bold Specialty Beverages Headquarters
Location: 5016 Park Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50321
ABOUT BLK & Bold:
BLK & Bold Specialty Beverages is a coffee micro-roastery and national wholesaler of specialty coffee and teas. Our mission is to make a fundamental shift in the choices of coffee consumers via providing a range o fproduct options at mass retail/grocery (currently Target, Whole Foods,Kroger, Albertsons, Amazon,Boxed.com, Macy’s, Walgreens, HEB, ShopRite, Canteen, US Foods, Tradecraft) that extends the consumer’s social impact footprint via positively impacting the communities of consumers across the US. As a result, we contribute 5% of our profits to initiatives across the US that support disadvantaged domestic youth.We are proud to be the first and only Black-owned (MBE Certified) nationally- distributed coffee as well as a fully-certified B Corp, reinforcing our domestic-impact commitment to our consumers and stakeholders. Additional active certifications include Kof-K Kosher, Fair Trade USA/International, Safe Quality Foods (SQF) edition 9.
This position works closely with the Roasting, Quality Assurance, Demand Planning and Production staff on a daily basis, in support of roasting needs. Aroaster at BLK & Bold is responsible for meeting daily demand through calibrated, quality-focused roasting.This success in this role requires teamwork, strong communication, physical and mental focus towards our meticulous and deeply valued roasting craft.The Roaster position is a full-time, exempt (salary) position which requires availability to work early mornings, evenings and weekends, pending production schedules and order volume.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manually roasting coffee on Probat and Mill City drum roasters in accordance with our coffee philosophy, craft and roasting style
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the techniques and approaches that define BLK & Bold’s roast philosophy
- Fulfillment of daily coffee orders (preparing and roasting batches of coffee) in a highly demanding production environment
- Perform routine roaster cleaning and maintenance
- Assist with green coffee handling; receiving, moving and organizing inventory; weighing and portioning green coffee for recipes
- Serve as a conduit of effective and respectful communication between Roasting, Demand Planning, Production and other departments
- Support and adhere to general organization of the roastery, food safetyand GMP protocols
- Engage with Quality Department and Roasting Department team members to meet our growing quality demands.
- Effective communication and data entry using Google apps, Netsuite ERP and Cropster software
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for specialty coffee
- At least (2) years+ of roasting experience on a commercial-sized drum roaster
- Highly motivated and positive attitude
- Demonstrated concentration and focus with hands-on tasks
- Ability to listen, learn and adapt
- Demonstrated teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to prioritize daily, weekly and monthly tasks
- Basic technical aptitude and willingness to learn equipment details and needs
- Basic familiarity with Google Docs, Cropster and other computer tools to enable organization
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Standing – ability to stand for long periods of time
- Carry/Weight/Lift – ability to lift 75 pounds. Weight greater than 50 pounds will be mitigated with a lifting partner or device
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell and taste of roasted coffee
- Talk/hear – frequently communicates with employees, vendors and clients
- Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate roastery equipment
- The noise level is high. Ear protection is provided
- Roasting machines and the environment in which roasting happens can get warm and temperatures fluctuate. Proper dress should be considered.
- We observe Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), and employees are required to be compliant in designated areas. Uniforms and Personal Protective Equipment are provided and mandatory.
- The position may require early morning, evening and weekend work based upon volume and scheduling needs
- Competitive salary
- Individual performance bonuses
- Healthcare: medical, dental, vision
- Free coffee & tea