20 Kilogram Coffee Roaster, MCR-20
The MCR-20 Coffee Roaster is a fully featured high performance, high production specialty coffee roasting system.
The MCR-20 is equipped with dedicated high pressure centrifugal blower roaster exhaust and cooling tray fans that allow for simultaneous roasting and cooling. It is fully RoastPATH Automation capable and offers the option of a pneumatic coffee loader with integrated scale. This system allows a single operator to easily exceed over 1000 lbs of the highest quality finished coffee per day.
The all-digital control system integrates seamlessly with RoastPATH®, including the highly requested Roast Replay feature. During the roast, RoatsPATH® automatically logs BT, ET, IT and DT temperature readings, as well as fuel setting changes, and fan, fuel and drum speed adjustments. Direct drum pressure is also logged as a feedback loop for operator controlled roast airflow changes.
Total control over your fuel, fan and drum speed allows you remarkable flexibility in your batch size. You can easily scale your batch size up or down without sacrificing quality to focus on a special green or small project.
This model includes the Operator Assist System which automatically recovers to production charge temperature settings, starts timers, and triggers the cooling tray fan and stirring arms off/on at discharge from the drum or cooling tray. This system also incorporates position sensors that make it nearly impossible to accidentally discharge green coffee from the drum into a cooling tray filled with roasted coffee.
High capacity cooling trays and stirring arms are designed to hold 3 full batches for post-roast blending. High performance cooling fans cool 2nd crack roasts within 4 minutes.
For roastery cafes in California, the MCR-20 is available in an NSF certified configuration for immediate installation anywhere in the state.
- Roaster body
- Cooling tray & off-board cooling tray fan
- Chaff collector
- Advanced digital control panel with USB connection
- Operator Assist Sensor Package
- Thermocouples measuring BT, ET, IT, and DT
- Digital drum pressure gauge
- Safety cooling tray cover
- Built-in drum gap adjustment mechanism
- Pre-delivery support from our design team including space planning review, venting specification & project advice
- Set-up call: 1-on-1 video call with our Support Team to review your installation before passing you on to a 1-on-1 video call with our Roastery Team to complete your first seasoning roast
Next available: 3 in-stock in Minneapolis!
Arrives in three crates
Roaster crate: 64” x 46” x 90”, 1800 pounds
Cooling tray crate: 48” x 46” x 54”, 590 pounds
Chaff collector crate: 36” x 36” x 76”, 280 pounds
Request a quote to see costs to your location.
This equipment is covered by Mill City Roasters' warranty.
THE MCR-20 CREATES $3379 PER HOUR
Roasting 4 full batches an hour on an MCR-20 creates over 140 pounds of roasted coffee every hour. This yield is enough roasted coffee to fill more than 187 12-ounce bags. With a retail value of $18 per 12-ounce bag, you can create $3379 of retail coffee per hour.
Want to see how your business expenses stack up against that income? Use our Roaster Income Calculator to use your real-life expenses and find a roaster capacity that works for your business plan.
- Optional fully integrated green coffee loader with programmable scale.
- High efficiency filtration removes green coffee dust. Reduces roaster fouling and improves air quality inside your spaces.
- Monolithic, low carbon steel weldment – the heaviest constructed roasters in their class.
- Fully gusseted for dimensional strength and stability.
- Fully coated to prevent corrosion.
- Integrated double-walled roast compartment is heavily insulated which further converts the chassis into a thermal battery – storing heat, rather than wasting it.
- Materials in both the chassis and the roast compartment absorb heat more efficiently and release heat more consistently for increased stability of temperatures during profiling.
- Trapping heat = trapping noise. Ambient drum noise is limited to a whisper quiet 60 decibels making it easier to hear those early outliers before first crack.
- Double-wall, stainless steel drums standard on every model. The heaviest, most-efficient drum design in the industry.
- Construction accuracy is machine trued to within +/- .025”.
- 3mm air gap between inner and outer drum diffuses heat more evenly throughout inner drum.
- Diffused heat at inner wall eliminates conductive roast defect, even at higher inlet temperatures.
- Dramatically increased thermal efficiency by storing & using heat, rather than quickly releasing.
- “Bomb proof” construction prevents warping due to loss of electrical service caused drum fires.
- Every model equipped with quick response, variable drum speed allowing the operator to achieve ideal bean loft and conductive vs. convective ratio. Result is the flexibility to profile batches from 20%-120% of listed drum capacity on most models.
- Advanced drum gap adjustment mechanism is standard on all models two kilogram capacity or greater, making adjustments easier and more precise.
- Custom-designed, CSA® Design Certified low loss gas train designed by Mill City Roasters and used exclusively in our roaster line-up.
- Custom burners designed specifically for coffee roasting.
- Burner layout is specific to each model to achieve optimal burner-to-drum relationship.
- Easy access, external shut-off valves on every roaster.
- Built-in temperature limiters to allow for safe operation.
- Built-in safety shut-off on pilot valve.
- Easy on-site conversion from LP to natural gas.
- Digital electronic modulating valve offering greater control for your most challenging profiles in variable batch sizes.
- Fuel adjustments at the push of a button.
- RoastPATH Automation ready digital control system.
- Automated between batch protocol.
- Automated operative assist cooling and stirring arm activation.
- Automated roast timer display.
- RoastPATH prompted charge and discharge.
Air & Exhaust
- Power-vented dual exhaust system standard on every model with fan placement designed to allow for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Roaster exhaust fan is high pressure, high output 3-phase VFD speed controlled with linear response curve for more predictable and more precise airflow control and roast profiles repeatability.
- Cooling tray exhaust fan is a dedicated, high-pressure fan providing rapid cooling to stop roast progression once batch is dropped in cooling tray. Dual exhaust system allow for simultaneous roasting and cooling, reducing back-to-back batch times and increasing production to 4+ batches per hour.
- All machines include face-mounted digital drum pressure gauge.
- All models equipped with dedicated, off-board chaff filtering collectors with easy access doors to aid in frequent clearing of chaff and completion of safety checks.
- Optional quick-release venting kits available for every model.
- Fully specified requirements for venting to termination including layout and cap recommendations.
- Fan adjustments at the push of a button.
- CSA® Design Certified CSA 1.8 for US and Canada, IEC, CE, ROHS.
- CSA/UL certified Honeywell automatic ignition controller
- All UL/CSA certified Delta PLCs and VFDs.
- CSA/UL certified motors, relays, switches, and wiring.
- Optional UL® NSF Certification available on every model.
- Entire contact path of roaster (hopper, loading chute, faceplate, trier, drum, discharge gate, discharge chute, cooling tray cover, cooling tray floor, stirring/mixing arms, cooling tray gate, cooling tray latch, cooling tray gate) all custom fabricated with certified food grade stainless.
- Teflon cooling tray wipers.
- Heavy duty 5mm x 44mm Borosilicate heat resistant sight glass.
- Food service safe LED light.
- Food safe resin-impregnated trier handle.
- Stirring arms automatically stop when the cooling tray cover is opened.
Install & Maintain
- Designed with off-board cooling fans and stand-alone chaff collectors to allow for easier moving, better access and easier maintenance. Off-board components can offer more flexible layouts for users with space limitations.
- Detachable control panels for moving components through standard size door openings. Removable hoppers on all models.
- Adjustable leg heights on components.
- Quick-Connect Kits available to quickly connect components.
- Roaster body features large, full swing, removable access doors on both sides for easy access to interior components.
- Cooling tray features large, full swing, removable access doors on both sides for easier cleaning.
- Chaff collector fully disassembles for cleaning.
Planning & Installation
Base layout with roaster connected to chaff collector via removeable section and cooling tray connected to cooling tray fan via a short disconnect. Additional disconnects for chaff collector and cooling tray fan exhaust ports available. This layout requires owner to install two exhaust lines to termination.
(w x d)
|5’-6” x 10’-5”|
(1.68m x 3.18m)
(w x d)
|10’-0” x 14’-11”|
(3.05m x 4.55m)
Layout S (Separate exhaust lines)
Layout arranges dual exhausts into to two parallel connection points near back of roaster. Ideal for spaces with thru-wall terminations. This layout requires owner to install two exhaust lines to termination.
(w x d)
|5’-3” x 10’-5”|
(1.60m x 3.18m)
(w x d)
|9’-9” x 14’-11”|
(2.99m x 4.55m)
Layout G (Ganged exhaust lines)
Layout gangs dual exhausts into to one connection point above the chaff collector. Only usable in spaces with straight up, thru-roof terminations. This layout allows owner to install one exhaust line to termination.
(w x d)
|5’-3” x 10’-5”|
(1.60m x 3.18m)
(w x d)
|9’-9” x 14’-11”|
(2.99m x 4.55m)
Operates on LP gas or natural gas. Requires commercial gas pressure via 1/2" NPT connection. See installation manual for detailed pressure requirements.
Burners arrive configured for LP gas but can be converted for natural gas using our easy, on-site conversion kit.
We can also help sourcing the correct gas regulator for your installation and talk your installer through any questions they have regarding gas pressure.
Requires a dedicated single phase circuit, 220-230V, 20A, 50-60Hz.
Unit arrives with an industrial gauge unterminated power cord measuring 10 feet (3 meters) that can be hardwired into a junction box or installed using a locking plug/receptacle per your local code.
Requires dedicated Category III, Positive Pressure exhaust line(s) to carry exhaust from roaster drum & cooling tray to termination outdoors.
See installation manual for maximum runs, minimum heat ratings and clearance-to-combustible requirements. Our Design Team offers free consult to help you make a plan for your building.
Take a closer look
Ergonomically positioned gas manifold pressure and drum pressure gauges allows "at-a-glance" verification of critical settings.
Charge sensor to prevent accidental mixing of green and roasted coffee.
Certified precision burner manifold gauge for at-a-glance verification of fuel settings.
High pressure 3-phase variable speed centrifugal blower roaster exhaust.
Heavy duty super reliable variable speed 3-phase drum motor.
All coffee contact path stainless steel is finished per NSF food safety requirements.
Variable geometry main gas control valve for micro step precision gas adjustment.
Custom assembled CSA certified low loss gas train.
Quick connect cooling fan, stirring arm motor and cooling tray sensor connections.
All electrical components clearly labeled and logically laid out to allow easy owner/operator repairs.